The pain and stiffness caused by arthritis doesn’t have to stop you from enjoying your favorite activities or doing everyday tasks. Whether you have arthritis in your knees, joints, hands, neck, fingers or feet, or a condition such as fibromyalgia, try these simple self-care remedies to ease arthritis pain, reduce stress, improve mood and maintain overall good health.
- Reduce stress and ease pain by singing. Do it in the shower, car or at a karaoke event.
- Avoid caffeinated beverages in the afternoon and evening. Try herbal tea instead.
Wear something colorful!
- On sluggish days, wear something colorful for a quick pick-me-up.
- Use spray-on sunscreen that doesn’t have to be rubbed into the skin.
- Slouching requires that your muscles work harder to hold your body up. Avoid fatigue and boost your energy level by sitting up straight.
Get a handle on it!
- Make your toothbrush easier to grip by sliding a foam cylinder over it. Use a large sponge hair roller, foam strip for pipes, or something similiar.
Keep your cool.
- During hot weather, drink plenty of cool, nonalcoholic, non-caffeinated beverages. Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink fluids.
- To relieve stress, take a simple break every 30 minutes. Get up and walk around, get a glass of water or do a few slow stretches to get your blood flowing.
Pop a peppermint!
- The scent of peppermint decreases fatigue.
- Even if you are staying indoors all day, dress as if you are expecting visitors. When you look good, you feel good!
Do what you love!
- If arthritis keeps you from doing a favorite activity (such as traveling), enjoy a modified version. Visit a local museum, enjoy a movie or use a computer to visit other locations.
Home arthritis care products
To browse our selection of affordable arthritis, daily living and pain management products, including arthritis gloves and reacher tools, please visit our website at www.homehealthmedical.com. For direct customer service, call 877-621-4660 (toll-free) or 317-621-HOME (4663).
Touchpoint senior services, a division of Community Health Network, offers senior care management services as well as the Healthy Aging and Transitions Services (HATS) Clinic. For more information about these services, visit us on the web at eCommunity.com/seniorcare or eCommunity.com/touchpoint.